One of my absolutely favorite seafood to eat is giant sea scallops. I can never get enough of them, and they’re just as versatile as shrimps when it comes to cooking. I found this recipe on The Hot Plate and may just give it a try this weekend.
12 large sea scallops
4 – ½ inch sliced spicy pancetta, diced
5 ears of corn
10 scallions, dark green parts sliced diagonally and set aside (leave white and light green intact)
3 tbsp chives, finely chopped
Olive oil for drizzling
Salt and pepper
1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
½ jalapeno, seeded
Juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp honey
1. Make the dressing by blitzing basil, jalapeno, lime, white wine vinegar, honey, olive oil and salt in a food processor. Tip: If you don’t have a food processor just make sure that the jalapeno is minced and that the basil is finely chopped and whisk all the ingredients together.
2. Remove scallops from fridge, layer between paper towel and return to fridge until ready to use.
3. Heat a large skillet, preferably cast iron, to over medium-high heat. Add diced pancetta and cook until golden brown and fat has rendered, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat grill or BBQ to high heat.
4. Rub the corn and remaining white/light green scallion stems with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill corn 4 minutes per side until lightly charred and cooked, about 16 minutes total, and scallions 2 minutes per side, about 4 minutes total.
5. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon and place in a medium mixing bowl with chopped dark green scallion and chives. Pour fat into a bowl and reserve. Add one tbsp pancetta fat to the skillet and heat over high until just smoking. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Add the first 6 scallops and sear until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes depending on their size. Flip and continue searing until golden. Set aside on a heated plate and repeat with the remaining 6 scallops. Meanwhile, slice the corn of the cob and chop grilled scallions.
6. Add corn and scallions to the mixing bowl with the pancetta. Toss with all but 3 tbsp dressing.
7. Divide the grilled corn salad between four plates. Top with 3 scallops each, and drizzle remaining dressing over scallops. Garnish with freshly ground pepper.